When life changes, so should your insurance. In addition to your annual renewal, there are several events that might require an amendment to your current policy. Making a major purchase, expanding your family, and even completing some DIY projects around your home are all important moments where your current coverage may not be enough. An insurance review can provide peace of mind in knowing that your family and your assets are protected should the unexpected happen.
No matter where life takes you, here are six essential times we recommend you review your policy in addition to your annual review.
- A change in your career or lifestyle. Are you traveling more or less for work or leisure? Did you have a significant change in your income or retire? These are key moments when you should review your policy and make sure your coverage is aligned with your new lifestyle.
- Life-changing family events. Marriage, divorce, a new baby, adoption, loss of a loved one, and sending a child off to college are common life moments where you may forget to check your insurance policy. Even bringing aging parents into your household can require updated coverage. Don’t wait until your annual review if you experience any of these throughout the year.
- Additions to your home. If you’ve added a pool to your backyard, completed a renovation on your home, or even finished a DIY project around the house, you should make sure your current home insurance policy is enough to cover it. Depending on the project, you may even need additional liability coverage if there is an increased risk of injury.
- A new pet. Bringing a new pet into the family is common for many households — especially over the past year. If you do bring a four-legged friend home, make sure to review your policy and ensure you’re covered.
- New drivers in the family or new uses of your vehicles. For those with a new driver in the house, you will need to add them to your policy. Similarly, if you’re using your vehicle to be a delivery driver or for another new service, make sure you connect with your local agent and update your policy to reflect these changes.
- Starting a new business. From selling crafts online to offering consulting services out of your home, and everything in between, you need to review your policy. Your standard home insurance policy likely does not cover any loss related to business, so you’ll need to adjust your coverage should you start one.
In addition to these common life changes, there are a number of times you might want to check in with your insurance agent to review your policy. For example, installing a new security system, a rise in the threat of natural disasters in your area, and even adding a trampoline to your yard may all have an effect on your coverage. To be on the safe side, we recommend you check in with your agent throughout the year to make sure you’re protected through all of life’s changes.
We’re proud to partner with more than 500 local, independent agents who are dedicated to helping you find a policy tailored to your needs and happy to help you review your policy. Visit our website to find one today. https://www.quincymutual.com/find-agent.htm