The sun is out and the kids are home — time to get outside! At Quincy Mutual Group, we want everyone to have a fun and safe summer, no matter where you are. If you’ll be spending time with your family in the backyard, keep these safety tips in mind to minimize your risks of injury.
General Backyard Safety Tips:
- When playing outside, make sure everyone stays hydrated.
- Apply sunblock to protect your skin — and don’t forget to reapply!
- Check for ticks if playing in wooded or grassy areas.
Pool Safety Tips:
- Never let children in the pool without adult supervision.
- Install a gate or pool cover to make sure children do not enter the pool without supervision.
- Keep up with regular pool maintenance and cleaning.
- Create a set of rules and enforce them every time your pool is used. Good examples include “No running” and “Always swim with a buddy”.
- Always keep the area around your pool clear of toys and furniture to minimize the risk of tripping and falling.
Play Set Safety:
- Make sure play sets are securely installed on level ground. Consider adding a soft material like sand or shredded rubber around the play set to cushion any potential falls.
- Always supervise children when they are playing.
- Regularly inspect your play set to make sure it is secure and in good condition.
- Look for things like rusty or loose screws that could cause injuries.
Homeowners with backyard features like swing sets or pools should also consider purchasing an umbrella insurance policy. These affordable endorsements offer you and your family additional liability coverage over the basic limits of your homeowners, car, or boat insurance policies. With limits ranging from $1 million to $5 million, these endorsements can be tailored to fit your family’s unique needs.